New Orleans looters stole everything but Country CDs
Herb Tomson
2005-09-19 02:18:47 UTC
http://nsnlb.us.publicus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050918/NEWS03/109180075/-1/sports

Business owners return to New Orleans

By MARY FOSTER, The Associated Press

Published: Sunday, Sep. 18, 2005

NEW ORLEANS – Margaret Richmond stood watching, tears streaming down
her face, as members of the 82nd Airborne Division used a crowbar to
try to pry open the door of her looted antiques shop on the edge of
the city’s upscale Garden District.

The store, Decor Splendide, had been looted in the chaotic days that
followed Hurricane Katrina. Antique jewelry, a cement angel with one
wing broken off and lamps were lying scattered on the floor. Someone
had wedged a piece of metal in the door to jam it closed, hoping to
deter other looters.

“What they didn’t steal they trashed,” Richmond said, gazing through a
window of her shop, before the soldiers were able to break open the
door. “They got what they could and ruined what they left.”

It was a scene repeated over and over Saturday as business owners were
allowed back in to some sections of the city to begin the long process
of cleaning up and rebuilding.

Mayor Ray Nagin said this week that he wanted to prepare some of the
flood-ravaged city’s dry sections for the return of up to 180,000
residents over the next two weeks. His goal was to begin the city’s
revival by resuming a limited amount of commerce.

But the head of the federal disaster relief effort said Saturday that
the plan raises concern because of weakened levees, lack of drinkable
water and heavily polluted floodwater.

Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad Allen said federal officials have worked
with the mayor and support his vision for repopulating the city, but
he called Nagin’s idea to return up to 180,000 people to New Orleans
in the next week both “extremely ambitious” and “extremely
problematic.”

“Our intention is to work with the mayor . . . in a very frank, open
and unvarnished manner,” Allen told The Associated Press in an
interview at Department of Homeland Security headquarters in Baton
Rouge.

Business owners, facing damage that
could take months to repair, said hopes for a quick recovery may be
little more than a political dream.

“I don’t know why they said people could come back and open their
businesses,” said Richmond, whose insurance policy will cover the lost
merchandise. “You can’t reopen this. And even if you could, there are
no customers here.”

The Wal-Mart store in uptown New Orleans, built within the last year,
survived the storm but was destroyed by looters.

“They took everything – all the electronics, the food, the bikes,”
said John Stonaker, a Wal-Mart security officer. “People left their
old clothes on the floor when they took new ones. The only thing left
are the country-and-western CDs. You can still get a Shania Twain
album.”

If the store had not been looted, it could be open in two weeks,
Stonaker said. Now he doubts it will be open by January.

“They’ll have to gut it and start over,” he said.

Algiers, a residential area located across the Mississippi River from
downtown New Orleans, is scheduled to reopen Monday, the first
neighborhood to welcome back residents. Uptown, including the historic
Garden District neighborhood, also is scheduled to reopen next week.

Nagin said he wanted the French Quarter open for business by Sept. 26,
but city officials have since backed off setting a date for reopening
New Orleans’ oldest and most famous neighborhood, the main draw for
tourists.

All the areas to be reopened in the week ahead were spared Katrina’s
flooding. Electricity and clean water have been restored to some
sections.

Some business owners in the French Quarter, which suffered only
cosmetic damage, threw an impromptu street party Saturday, complete
with a traditional feast of red beans and rice.

Donald Link, the chef and co-owner of Herbsaint, an upscale restaurant
in the city’s arts district in New Orleans, evacuated to Lake Charles,
La., leaving his house beneath 20 feet of flood water. He considered a
number of job offers before deciding to return.

“I wasn’t sure there was any reason to try to go back,” Link said. “I
really thought about starting somewhere else, but then I thought,
‘This is my restaurant, this is my city.’ ”

The storm did not damage the restaurant, but the ensuing power failure
spoiled his store of food.

“I looked at the lost food – the pig heads in brine were the worst,”
said Link, who is famous for his earthy dishes. “And I thought, ‘I
can’t do this. I can’t take it.’ ”

Using a commercial gas mask he obtained from the oil refineries in
Lake Charles, Link was able to empty the five coolers and freezers of
their rotting food, enough to fill almost 70 garbage bags.

“Now we have to decontaminate the restaurant, probably get all new
coolers and freezers,” Link said. “Once we open, it will be all new
food, all new equipment.”

Link hopes to be doing business within three weeks. Some of the larger
hotels already have been operating, hoping to generate income even as
they repair damage.

The Hyatt was severely damaged, but some hotels along Canal Street on
the edge of the French Quarter had less recovery work ahead.

The Sheraton had damage to the top floors and to a huge ballroom where
a retractable skylight and massive window were smashed. The hotel also
had a solid disaster plan in place that included bringing in portable
toilets, stockpiling water and sheltering the guests. They began
renting rooms two weeks after the storm.

Associated Press Writer Doug Simpson contributed to this report.

Contact The Telegraph
PO Box 1008, Nashua, NH 03061 (603) 594-6440
Privacy Policy and User Agreement
The Telegraph Online Ver. 2.0
© 2005, Telegraph Publishing Company
All Rights Reserved
Bigolhomo
2005-09-19 02:44:15 UTC
Post by Herb Tomson
“They took everything – all the electronics, the food, the bikes,”
said John Stonaker, a Wal-Mart security officer. “People left their
old clothes on the floor when they took new ones. The only thing left
are the country-and-western CDs. You can still get a Shania Twain
album.”
I guess this is proof of how many white looters there were :)
Bigolhomo
Verizon User

Bigolhomo
Bigolhomo
2005-09-19 06:59:38 UTC
Post by Verizon User
Surround the TVs and laptops with a ring of country cd's during the next
evacuation.
Heh. For extra protection they can add a layer of Enya and Yanni CD's
Bigolhomo
eggs
2005-09-19 23:06:42 UTC
Post by Bigolhomo
Post by Verizon User
Surround the TVs and laptops with a ring of country cd's during the next
evacuation.
Heh. For extra protection they can add a layer of Enya and Yanni CD's
Yeah, I hear that NASA is planning to use Yanni CD's to replace the
faulty tiling on the space shuttles. Apparently they repel everything -
including radiation and cosmic energy.

eggs.
mslindac
2005-09-19 04:13:58 UTC
Post by Bigolhomo
“They took everything – all the electronics, the food, the bikes,”
said John Stonaker, a Wal-Mart security officer. “People left their
old clothes on the floor when they took new ones. The only thing left
are the country-and-western CDs. You can still get a Shania Twain
album.”
I guess this is proof of how many white looters there were :)
They were too busy looting the NASCAR cafe. ;-)

Linda C.
Wyle Coyote
Of course, 'cause you read it right here in The AGC.
mc
2005-09-19 03:06:12 UTC
"They took everything -- The only thing left
are the country-and-western CDs. You can still get a Shania Twain
album."
That's too funny! This is like an "Onion" article.

MC
Keeper of Giovanni Ribisi!
daisy
I know. This guy has a wicked sense of humor.
Terry V.
It was written by MARY Foster.
~^Johnny^~
2005-09-23 10:16:24 UTC
Post by mc
"They took everything -- The only thing left
are the country-and-western CDs. You can still get a Shania Twain
album."
That's too funny! This is like an "Onion" article.
Q: What do Shania Twain and an onion have in common?

A: They both make you want to cry.
--
-john

In order to define poor, we must define good, and good is subjective at best, at times.
Benjamin C.
Johnny is a crybaby.
~^Johnny^~
2005-09-25 10:07:15 UTC
Post by ~^Johnny^~
Post by mc
"They took everything -- The only thing left
are the country-and-western CDs. You can still get a Shania Twain
album."
That's too funny! This is like an "Onion" article.
Q: What do Shania Twain and an onion have in common?
A: They both make you want to cry.
--
-john
Johnny is a crybaby.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~
"Stealing our copyright provisions in the dead of night when no-one
is looking is piracy. It's not piracy when kids swap music over the
Internet using Napster..." - Courtney Love
~~~~~~~~
~^Johnny^~
2005-09-23 10:14:42 UTC
Yeah, they stole mostly Hip-Hop CD's.

One might say that's a bad rap for the looters.

--
-john
siskokids at okby dot us

~~~~~~~~
Sometimes I worry about being a success in a
mediocre world. -Lily Tomlin
~~~~~~~~
stickyw
2005-09-25 20:42:23 UTC
"Apes Gone Wild: The Story of the New Orleans Hurricane Survivors"
Kris Baker
2005-09-25 21:23:07 UTC
"stickyw" <***@aol.com> wrote in message news:***@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
(just a bunch of racist shit)

Just curious: those of you on country-western groups. Are you
ALL like this?

Kris
mslindac
2005-09-25 22:35:03 UTC
Post by Kris Baker
(just a bunch of racist shit)
Just curious: those of you on country-western groups. Are you
ALL like this?
Kris
Nah. He's a troll. The regulars hate those creeps. Unfortunately, the
country groups attract more than their share of racist asshole trolls.

Linda C.
Kris Baker
2005-09-25 22:51:19 UTC
Post by mslindac
Post by Kris Baker
(just a bunch of racist shit)
Just curious: those of you on country-western groups. Are you
ALL like this?
Kris
Nah. He's a troll. The regulars hate those creeps. Unfortunately, the
country groups attract more than their share of racist asshole trolls.
Linda C.
Aha. Thanks, Linda. IOW, the same creeps who show up on alt.true-crime
because they don't understand "true crime" and think we're all racist cops
or something.

Kris
theresa
2005-09-25 23:10:52 UTC
Post by Kris Baker
Post by mslindac
Post by Kris Baker
(just a bunch of racist shit)
Just curious: those of you on country-western groups. Are you
ALL like this?
Kris
Nah. He's a troll. The regulars hate those creeps. Unfortunately, the
country groups attract more than their share of racist asshole trolls.
Linda C.
Aha. Thanks, Linda. IOW, the same creeps who show up on alt.true-crime
because they don't understand "true crime" and think we're all racist cops
or something.
Kris
Still, the post made me recall the LA riots in 1992. I was on a
van pool crossing LA from West to East as we tried to get home
to Pasadena, and with every turn we made to escape the
looting/fires, we would encounter more just starting. As we
drove down Hollywood Blvd., we saw men with gas cans who did not
look like looters torching buildings. Later, it was rumored
that owners decided their properties would be worth more charred
than rescued. But as we continued into East Hollywood and
through the neighborhood where I grew up, I grew teary and grim
as I watched the supermarket where I sold lemonade as a kid
light up, and then further along, the Rite-Aide-like drug store
follow suit. But then we saw something else that dispelled all
the horror -- for all the looting and burning, the book store
sat peaceably in the middle of the smoke, untouched by anyone.
stickyw
2005-09-25 23:40:54 UTC
the book store sat peaceably in the middle of the smoke, untouched by anyone.
That makes sense - darkies don't read. ;)
I. M. White
2005-09-25 23:04:14 UTC
Post by Kris Baker
(just a bunch of racist shit)
Just curious: those of you on country-western groups. Are you
ALL like this?
Kris
racist.
You seem to be confusing "racists" with realists.

Did you know:

Fact: Recent studies show that niggers make up only 13% of the population,
yet commit 54% of the crimes. www.fbi.gov

Fact: Over 69% of all nigglets are bastards.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/under_contruction/aafacts.htm

Fact: In 1999, niggers made up just 12% of the population, but make up 47%
of the reported AIDS cases.
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/graphics/images/l178/l178-13.htm

Fact: 28% of nigger bucks end up in prison versus 4.4% for white men.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm

Fact: Niggers are four times as likely to kill their children as whites.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/kidsrates.txt

Fact: Niggers are 7 times more likely than whites to commit murder.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm

Fact: Niggers have the lowest IQ of any race on earth.
http://webusers.anet-stl.com/~civil/bellcurveillustration1.html

Fact: NIGGERS receive 13 times their net contribution to GDP in social
transfer payments.

http://christianparty.net/blackcosts.htm

Fact: NIGGERS are over-represented in crime by four fold, being 55% of
murderers even though they're only 12% of the population.

http://christianparty.net/blackcosts.htm

Fact: Whites must work 42 days each year JUST to earn the money that pays
JUST the taxes which fund JUST the welfare paid JUST to NIGGERS in America.

http://christianparty.net/blackcosts.htm

Fact: Crimes committed by blacks have destroyed entire societies.

http://christianparty.net/blackcosts.htm

Fact: NIGGERS in America have murdered 10 times as many American Whites as
Osama bin Ladin.

http://christianparty.net/blackcrime.htm

Fact: Based on current rates of first incarceration, an estimated 28% of
black
males will enter State or Federal prison during their lifetime, compared to
16% of Hispanic males and 4.4% of white male.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm

32% OF ALL NIGGER MALES IN THE U.S. WILL END UP IN PRISON.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm

To avoid AIDS in Africa, niggers gang-rape babies and toddlers.

Sources:

http://www.usafricaonline.com/safrica_childrapes.html

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/africa/12/10/infant.rape/

Glad I could be of help!
--
What NIGGERS are missing leaves the NIGGERS without an ability to think
about what NIGGERS are missing.

Therefore, NIGGERS need not respond.

I. M. White
Lane Gray, Czar Castic
2005-09-26 15:03:46 UTC
Post by Kris Baker
(just a bunch of racist shit)
Just curious: those of you on country-western groups. Are you
ALL like this?
Nope, just some racist trolls. I usually ignore them. And then go
back to my steel guitar.
--
Lane Gray
And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and they were not ashamed
get the .lead out to reply
ray
2005-09-26 20:37:00 UTC
What I've Learned From Watching The News On TV:

1) Hurricane Kiristina only hit black families' property.
2) New Orleans was devastated and no other city was affected by the
hurricane.
3) Mississippi is reported to have a tree blown down.
4) New Orleans has no white people.
5) The hurricane blew a limb off a tree in the yard of an Alabama resident.
6) When you are hungry after a hurricane, steal a big screen TV.
7) White folks don't make good news stories.
8) Don't give thanks to the thousands that came to help rescue you, instead
bitch & moan because the government hasn't given you a debit card yet.
9) Only black family members got separated in the hurricane rescue efforts.
10) The issued FIMA cards should have a $20,000.00 spending limit.
11) Ignore all the warnings to evacuate and leave the city while white folks
come to your aid and give you money for being fuckin stupid.
12) All the residents of New Orleans are all so poor and so black.
13) It is a New Orleans custom to open fire at the rescue workers trying to
save you from drowning.
14) Mississippi needs no help
get the .lead out to reply
Kris Baker
2005-09-26 20:50:32 UTC
Post by ray
1) Hurricane Kiristina only hit black families' property.
No.
What YOU have not learned from watching the news.

Kris
How many times does someone have to post that piece
of tripe?
stickyw
2005-09-28 02:02:43 UTC
pc loonies don't need to be bothered with any facts!